Monday, December 3, 2012

Coasters for Christmas!



I know that there are approximately 80 gazillion tutorials out there for how to make your very own coasters out of 16 cent tiles from Lowes....but I think maybe the reason for this is that coasters are actually pretty useful (like, if I had any, I wouldn't always have to grab a random scrap of paper to put my glass on on my dining room table), and even if you have some it's always okay to have more because they don't take up much space, and these are super easy and cheap to make, and if the person you give them to doesn't like them it's really easy for them to stick them in a drawer somewhere and only pull them out when you come over! Yay!

So I decided awhile back that coasters would be the perfect present for the kids to make for assorted friends and relatives this Christmas. And when I saw that the theme of week 3 of the Dare to DIY challenge would be "give handmade," it gave me an extra kick in the butt to get going with that already.

So here is the coaster tutorial to end nicely complement all other coaster tutorials! But how many of them have OWLS?! Maybe a few; I don't know. If you are reading this and you think you might be the person receiving owl coasters, just put that thought right out of your head. You are WRONG!




So first you go to Hobby Lobby, your new favorite store, and you purchase:

scrapbook paper
Mod Podge (I got matte, but you can get the shiny stuff if you want. It's up to you!)
clear acrylic spray sealer (again, I went with matte)
sponge brushes
a glue gun, if you are new to craftiness and don't already have one
a roll of thin cork (according to the other tutorials, you can also use dots of felt)

Then you go to Lowes and get a bunch of white "biscuit" tile for 16 cents a square. This might get more expensive when your kids see the Gatorade and want some. Especially if one of them is getting over strep. He'll insist he NEEDS one because he's SICK. And then you'll spend more on Gatorade than on tile, but that's okay. Because you love your children and want them to be quiet happy.


Trace around the tiles on the back of the scrapbook paper and cut out a square. I found out after this that, even if you don't want a border for aesthetic reasons, it's best not to go all the way to the edges or you'll wind up with paper overhanging that's hard to get all sealed in with the Mod Podge and whatnot.


Put a layer of Mod Podge on the tile, and then put the scrapbook paper on and quickly get it just how you want it. Then put another layer of Mod Podge on top. The Mod Podging is a great job for your almost 7 year old!


Wait 10 minutes or so for the first layer to dry, then put another layer on (waiting for things to dry is the primary time suck in this project).  It will look like this at first, but don't worry: it dries clear!


Like this!


Then go to work with your acrylic sealer (outside). I did 3 coats, and you're supposed to do them, according to the label, 2 minutes apart. Which is too long for impatient people like me to just stand there, but too short to actually do something else. I might not have made it to two whole minutes. Then you're supposed to let it dry for 24 hours before handling, but that's ridiculous. I'll bet NOBODY waits that long!


Next you whip out your new $2.99 glue gun, cut out a square of cork (the cork I bought was self adhesive, but I didn't trust the built in adhesion to do the job by itself), and glue that sucker down. Another fun job for kids. Hot glue! What could be more fun?!


Mod Podging!




Hot glue!



We still have a bunch more sets to make, but here are the first two, all finished!

Let's call this the homeschool post for the week, too. Multi-tasking!

Sharing at the Dare to DIY party hosted by: Decor and the DogMaybe MatildaNewly Woodwards, and TwoTwentyOne

And also with: Tuesday's Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaHookin' Up With House of HepworthsSomewhat SimpleChic on a Shoestring Decorating's Flaunt It FridayThe Shabby Nest's Frugal Friday




28 comments:

  1. SO CUTE. And your boys are adorable. Even if they're needing Gatorade. I might steal this gift idea..I have lots of DIY gifts I need to finish still. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looking back, I think they should have saved the Gatorade to drink while we were waiting for things to dry. You should try that and report back!

      Delete
  2. I'm dying over that owl paper. Great gift idea. Who can't use more coasters? Thanks for joining the Dare to DIY again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting...I wouldn't have done these until the 23rd otherwise ;)

      Delete
  3. These look great! Love that you got the kids involved. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gretchen I LOVE it! Those turned out so cute! The owls are darling. Gotta take advantage of free (almost free... the price of gatorade. A fair wage) labor where you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it's the kind of labor where it'd be faster to do it myself, but hopefully it's instilling some sort of work ethic or something anyway....

      Delete
  5. I made coasters for Christmas last year so I obviously love this idea! The paper you picked out is so cute, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--picking out the paper was my favorite part :)

      Delete
  6. These are such a great gift idea! Who doesn't need pretty coasters?

    Thanks for linking up to Dare to DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. See but all the others did not make THESE coasters, with THESE papers AND got all their kids involved as well :) I really like what you did here! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with K! Yours are adorable, and I love the pics of the kiddos getting involved. I was going to make these for my DIY gift, but I never made it to the hardware store to get tiles. I still plan on making some for gifts though! Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Put those boys to work! I love it! The owl paper is too cute as a coaster!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so so cute! I am thinking I need to do these for my grandparents-in-law. Picutres of the kids maybe...and I think some owls would be cute for my sister-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a bunch with photos online--I bet the grandparents would LOVE them :)

      Delete
  11. These look great and I love the fact that you got your boys involved in the crafting! I'm totally going to steal this idea for my mother-in-law's Christmas gift (I'll leave the hot gluing to myself but my 2.5 year old could totally handle some mod podge)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha--yes, 2.5 is probably a little young for hot glue. Maybe next time!

      Delete
  12. this craft is awesomely easy - i made a whole slew of these coasters a few months back. my favorite part of your is the OWL paper you chose!! ps - found you through the dare to diy challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to steal this too for my MIL and Aunt gifts! I love them, they turned out so great! Imagine my dismay when I learned that I won't be receiving them. D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While you won't be receiving them, you might just know someone who will. But I think she doesn't read my blog, and her reward is not ruining her teacher present Christmas surprise.

      Delete
  14. Okay... I'm feeling a little inept since I am always such a train wreck with the Mod Podge and you've got your 7 year old working it. But this is such a fun idea, I'll give it a go again. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! well, he's a very confident 7 year old; it would never occur to him that he would have any trouble ;-)

      Delete
  15. Super cute! I don't use coasters, but I like these anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww! These are adorable little coaster sets! I love all things owls, and so I love these! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a lovely idea! I love coasters but, I haven't tried making it. Now, after seeing this, I'll grab some materials later and me and my kids will try to make this too. :) - www.jrsalescorp.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those turned out awesome! I will need to try this.

    ReplyDelete

Like all human bloggers, I love comments! I make a valiant effort to respond to as many as I can and to hop over and check out your blog if you have one. So let me know you're here, if you have a bit of extra time on your hands :)