Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving Part 3, plus a GF muffin recipe

Last year was our first gluten free year, and I didn't really feel ready for doing everything homemade. So I wound up buying pre-made bread (and regular old wheat rolls for our non GF guests). We did make a pie:, as I recall.

But this year I'm ready; I'm going to attempt my very first gluten free dinner rolls! For the most part, we just don't eat a lot of bread around here, and when we do I either use a mix or pick up a loaf at the store. But Thanksgiving calls for homemade rolls, don't you think? A nice thing about Thanksgiving is that a lot of the traditional dishes don't really require much or any modification to make them gluten free. Turkey? no gluten! Mashed potatoes? the same. Cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes are similarly problem free.

So, by my calculations, the things we need to worry about are the rolls, gravy, stuffing, and desserts.

Rolls: I'm going to give these a try:



(in a perfect world, I would have done a trial run at some point in the past few weeks, but....I didn't)

Gravy: as far as I can tell, the only thing we really need to change here is using corn starch instead of flour for a thickener. Fortunately, I have a lifetime supply of corn starch that I inherited from a friend after, if I recall correctly, a botched or abandoned attempt at homemade play-doh

Stuffing: I still need to figure this out. Most of the recipes I've found seem very elaborate (you know, compared to a box of stovetop stuffing). 

Desserts: I found this recipe for a crustless pumpkin pie:


And, of course, you can't go wrong with Alton Brown's chewy gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe. Oh no you can't. 

Okay, and then, supposing you need to whip up a quick snack/breakfast food to keep your kids out of your way while you're trying to cook all that stuff....how's about a gluten/grain free, (mostly) sugar free cinnamon muffin? Yum! 

I started with this recipe from Taste and Tell blog, and then I, of course, made some modifications. Second time I made them, I doubled the recipe, and that seemed to work better (mostly because of the 5 egg thing), but if you want to halve it, I'd do 3 eggs and maybe add a couple of extra tablespoons of coconut flour.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon cinnamon
2 cups coconut flour
1 cup tapioca starch
2 cups erythritol
1/2 teaspoon stevia
2 cups milk
1 cup oil
5 eggs
cinnamon sugar – for sprinkling on top (1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon cinnamon)
Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare muffin tins.
Combine dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients. Mix only until moistened. Fill muffin cups and top with cinnamon sugar.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick entered in the center comes out clean
Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top and serve



7 comments:

  1. Is one of your children celiac? Is that why you go GF?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as far as we know....we started mostly because of Dave's psoriasis to see if it helped--and it has--and everyone else seems to do better off gluten, too. We have a lot of autoimmune stuff going on, with psoriasis and allergies and asthma and whatnot. I used to think it didn't make any difference for me, but lately I think gluten makes me kind of....angry.

      Delete
  2. We've been trying to lose gluten in our house too.

    Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the art of glutenfree baking. I have been using her flour mixes quite a bit. I would be very interested in hearing how the rolls come out. In my perfect world, all my meals would be no-soy, gf, vegan ha ha :) Doesn't happen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rolls tasted good (maybe could have used a bit more salt), but they were pretty dense and chewy. They looked fluffier in the picture; I'm thinking maybe I should have let them rise longer?

      Delete
  4. Gluten makes Andrew angry, so it's entirely possible. I am going to pin a few of those recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gluten makes Ari angry when he eats it....or when he doesn't, because he's mad that he can't eat it ;)

      Delete

Like all human bloggers, I love comments! I make a valiant effort to respond to as many as I can and to hop over and check out your blog if you have one. So let me know you're here, if you have a bit of extra time on your hands :)